01 March 2007

Brawling at Black Hawks, Breakfast Burritos and Beer

The Game: Avs at Black Hawks

What more does a girl need? Dinner was breakfast burritos, and beer was White Rascal from Avery Brewing Company in Boulder. It's a wheat, and boy is it a wheat. Compared to Blue Moon and Easy Street Wheat (two other Colorado beers I'll feature eventually), it's wheat-and-citrus-tastic. Rather than being a subtle wheat beer deserving of an orange slice, White Rascal conjures images of those old Florida Orange Juice commercials where the kid manages to pierce an orange with a stripy straw. But in this instance, there's wheat beer in the orange. It's unfiltered, and you can actually see the yeast at the bottom of the bottle. Excellent beer, but not in the easy-to-drink sort of way. I don't want to be forced to mark the spice in a brew every time I take a sip. But the citrus dominance allowed me to justify having beer with breakfast, so I can't hate too much.

Before the game, an off-roading interview with Brett Clark reveals that my Arnason is his away roommate. When asked what that's like, he cryptically replies, "You know, it's a learning experience." What does that mean? He also cites Klee as the one player he'd take to depend on on a desert island.

Just over a minute in, Ruutu scores on Budaj. But seconds later, Rycroft is having a go at Richmond! Newly reaquired Av Parker (aka "The Sheriff") stood nearby, and congratulated Rycroft in the box. Even gathered his gloves and stuff for him. I think I'm going to like this guy.

While Rycroft ices his punching hand, good ol' Peter McNab outlines the OppenheimerFunds Principles for Success. 1) Outwork Chicago, 2) Timely special teams, and 3) "Road warriors." It's amusing to me that Oppenheimer is also a sponsor for the ballet. I'd love to see those Principles for Success...1) Be willing to live on $50/week, 2) Train your body to contort from the age of 3, and 3) Don't get pregnant.

Richardson takes a shot (assisted by Finger) that is initially called a save, but almost two minutes of play later, it's reviewed and awarded to the Avs as a GOAL! McLean makes it 2-1 with a beautiful rebound.

It is observed that the Avs' success might be due in part to Havlat's Flu, which has divested him 10lbs. and landed him in the hospital. I sympathize -- the Hawks must be really strapped to have to play someone (even someone so valuable) so sick, but I'm inclined to give the Avs more credit than that.

In the 2nd, the video review is again a friend to the Avs. The Hawks are awarded a tie-up goal, and then it's taken away. Brutal. Liles covers the puck as his body is careening into the goal and shoves it away from the line, but because the puck itself isn't visible, there can't be a definitive decision.

The only other interesting thing from the 2nd was the commentary about Stastny's stick. It's remarkable that he kicks it old skool and uses wood. If this game had been broadcast on Versus, there would have been all manner of references to Stastny's wood...He learned how to use it from his father...You know what I mean. Those Versus drunkards are pervs. And you know you like it.

In the 3rd, yet another reviewed goal goes in favor of the Avs, giving Arnason his 14th. The puck hit his skate, but he wasn't actively kicking it...Whew! In the last two minutes, Klee gets an empty net courtesy of Sakic, and Rycroft and Finger add insult to injury.

Tonight was the night of the B list. Six goals, and all by underlings overshadowed by the great veterans (Sakic) and up-and-comers (Stastny, Wolski, etc.). Finger's was his first NHL goal, and his face was positively aglow. In a tough guy way, of course. I'm so excited about him. Reluctant to get my hopes too high, but excited. He's not afraid to be physical, but he's also got two assists and a goal. This bodes well on a variety of levels.

FINAL

Avs 6
Black Hawks 1

Post-game, clips from announcer Kyle Keefe's and Paul Stastny's trip to the Boys and Girls' Club of Colorado are hilarious. Girl: "Do you like tacos?" Stastny: "For sure." Then he proceeds to beat them at foosball, air hockey and arm wrestling. He is becoming my favorite...I have one jersey, a replica away that was the Item of the Game not long ago. I decided to wait out the trade deadline before getting it lettered, and now I have to make the fateful decision. Stastny, for obvious reasons, or Arnason, for personal ones? My eventual Sakic jersey will must needs be authentic. Maybe even a Nordiques.

Best Friends Forever!

--Satanella

1 comment:

gsdgsd13 said...

Can't comment on the game since I didn't see it, but I will say Avery has a really special place in my heart -- the first Colorado microbrew widely available out here. The first time I saw Ellie's Brown out here, why, I could have wept with joy. And when they got the Czar... well. Life's much better now.