27 March 2007

Lesson Learned: Even Theodore is Better than No Goalie at All

The Game: Avs vs. Canucks

So, I still haven't been able to sit down and watch the last Avs/Canucks matchup. However, I understand that I owe McLean an apology for abusing him after his confusing appearance in the previous shooto
ut. Said Coach Q of Stastny's absence, "He was next." Pregame, I learn that McLean is deserving of congratulations not just for his first multi-goal game since 2003, but for becoming a father within three hours of returning home from Vancouver yesterday morning.

Theodore is in net, after successfully taking over for Budaj on Sunday. I know Theo is capable of greatness, but I get nervous when I see him lurking between the posts. Looking back at the schedule, I find that, since January, he has started 6 of 38 games. 5 of those 6 were losses, including one in which Theo was pulled in favor of Budaj. Conversely, 4 times Theo replaced Budaj. 3 of those 4 were also losses. Now, I know a loss isn't just about the goaltending. Nonetheless, these are telling numbers.


It looked like Theodore was going to have an easy night at first. Over seven minutes before the Canucks got a shot on goal. And Skrastins is officially back. Sweet. On the other hand, every night seems to be an easy night for Luongo.

At Intermission, I can't help but be struck by an (admittedly shallow) observation: Altitude "personality" (ahem) Joe Brown could not possibly use any more hair gel. His hair is a glossy obsidian helmet. Not the flowing near-mullet that is aging hockey hair. Here -- see what I mean?



In the second, I grab tonight's Colorado beer. Blue Moon Spring Ale. It's an Amber Wheat made with Keffir lime juice and rind. Straight out of the refrigerator, it almost has a Sprite-y feel at the back of your throat. As it warms up, you can really taste the zest. Kind of a sour aftertaste. I would try it again. With limes, and either Mexican or Thai food. Mmm.

Liles gets punched in the face, Sakic gets tripped, and the Avs' seemingly endless glut of power play opportunities begins. They went 0 for 5. Luongo is great, but that's nuts.

Sakic and Klee both go to the box and Salo immediately scores. Fitzpatrick is an ASS. Just as he finishes serving his penalty, as Theodore is heading off the ice, he scores. Daniel Sedin with another empty-netter. I'm switching to vodka.

FINAL

Canucks 3
Avs 0

Calgary won, too. Damn. Best Friends Forever!

--Satanella

No comments: