28 February 2007

"Did I Puke On My Jersey?"

The Game: Avs vs. Blue Jackets

My first words yesterday morning. Don't worry. I didn't.

On Monday, I decided to use my day off in the most productive way possible -- patronizing the state's largest liquor store. Go north on I-25 for about half an hour, or until the highway is littered with tumbleweeds (whichever comes first), and you'll find DaveCo Liquors, an establishment of airplane hangar proportions. It even has a humidor, which is unassailably cool.

I was determined to stock up on local goodies, and I did myself proud. In addition to a couple of microbrews I will feature very soon, I aquired a Cottonwood Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon vinted in Olathe, Colorado. I couldn't help but nip into it, as there was a double-header on Versus. It was actually pretty good, though it definitely needs to be decanted for a good three hours. But, given the result, I'm not sure if I should warn you off of Colorado wines or to insist that you UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES follow this particular one with vodka. I'm an Irish lass who can hold her sauce and who loves her vodka, and I've been broke enough for long enough to have steeled myself to the vilest versions out there. It may be that red wine just isn't my thing...

At any rate, I couldn't bring myself to drink for the Jackets game.

When Brunette (on a 12 game point streak) gets a PP goal in the 1st, it is announced that the Avs' power play is 3rd in the league. It seems like every game, Avs are breaking personal, franchise, or league records. So why aren't they winning games?

At Intermission, Giguere speaks to the trades. He highlights the Avs' lacks in goaltending and toughness. Everyone knows by now that May was traded for goalie Mike Wall. May: good riddance. But I'm curious about what Wall's presence means for Theodore (how to dump him?) and young Budaj, who has really come into his own this season. Also, we reaquired Scott Parker from the Sharks. He was an Av during the glory days, and he supposedly has an Avalanche tattoo. Two points in his favor. And he's a tough guy - but he's an injury risk! The Avs have plenty of great potential players who are riding the bench with various physical ailments. The last thing they need is another Leopold.

For this very reason, Finger and Cumiskey have been called up from Albany. I like Finger; he's a scrappy guy. And he gets his first NHL point with an assist on Stastny's (13 game point streak) 2nd period goal.

It's almost Budaj's 5th shutout (and the Jackets' 14th), but Columbus rallies in the final 2 minutes and scores twice.

FINAL

Blue Jackets 2
Avs 3

Best Friends Forever!

--Satanella

2 comments:

Charity said...

can't you take may back? i don't want him... I just want O'B back... anyway, Mike Wall is a good goalie but sometimes inconsistent (but name a goalie that isn't at times). he needs a little more experience, but he'll probably settle in your 3rd string for a little bit before stealing anybody's show.

anyway he's a nice guy though. total sweetie...

Satanella said...

It's Finny! (Insert bowing here). I am genuinely sorry you got May. He is praised for his toughness, but with the bad shoulder he's really just a jerk. Maybe he'll perform better for you...but he's probably still gonna be a jerk.