14 March 2007

Walkin' On Sunshine...Whoooaa...And Don't it Feel GOOD!

The Game: Avs vs. Flames

The boys are back in town, and it was a gorgeous day on a variety of levels. It's beautiful out. A day for open windows. I went skating. Had the best BBQ in town. Only worked a little, but got a lot done. Good company. Good game. Good day.

Sakic is honored in a pregame ceremony for his 600th goal, which he scored against Calgary a while ago. Don't know why they waited this long...unless it takes a particularly long time to fashion a silver hockey stick. The stick was presented to Sakic by former Nordique and Av Curtis Leschyshyn. Joe kissed his wife and kids before accepting it, and I thought for a minute there that he might give his former teammate a peck. No dice.

Just over a minute in Sakic scores! Not with the silver stick. He's 16th now on the All-Time NHL goal scorer list.

Much of the rest of the game was spent alternately thanking and cursing goal posts. And thinking, "Damn, Kiprusoff is good. If Kip were Theo we would have 9 goals by now."

The Flames racked up two power play goals by the end of the 1st, courtesy of Iginla and Yelle. I didn't know Yelle was an Av. Tapeleg: "Everyone was an Av." Oh.

In the 2nd, after an uneventful Av power play, a couple of the "Avs' Better Halves" announce their fundraiser. I can see that the guys are dating/married to them for their huge...hearts.

Another Av power play, and HEJDUK SCORES! Tie game. The Duke. When Stastny scores in the 3rd, he extends his point streak to 19 games. I wonder what would happen if it was just Sakic, Stastny and Budaj against Iginla, Tanguay and Kiprusoff. Is that like asking whether Superman would beat Batman, etc.? I've been around enough nerds (self included) in my life to know that conversation leads nowhere.

By this point, the Avs have outshot the Flames 40-17. After killing a penalty, Calgary gets a chance to tie it up in the final minutes when Klee gets called on slashing. But...they don't. BURN! Oh, that's kinda ironic. Heh.

FINAL

Flames 2
Avs 3

DISCLAIMER: Before I dole out my first truly negative review of a Colorado beer, I confess I probably marred the sample by having an absolutely perfect pint of Guinness this afternoon. Not many beers can follow Guinness. And, though I live in Colorado, I'm Irish first.

That said, I'm not a fan of Tommyknocker Brewery's (Idaho Springs, CO) Butt Head Doppelbock Lager. It's like a Porter or a Stout, but without the creaminess. Overpowering. I didn't get the "caramel sweetness" the label touts. Then again, I was eating Shells 'n' Cheese with it.

P.S. Butt Head. Because of the intense flavor. Not Butthead. There are rams butting heads on the label, not a picture of Gary Bettman.

At any rate, this is a beer I probably won't revisit. Now, to get the taste out of my mouth:



It's appropriate. Best Friends Forever!

--Satanella