19 March 2007

Sneaking a Post in at Work...MMMMM, I'm Telling...

The Game: Avs vs. Sharks

The Bad News: my computer crapped out. It's dead. R.I.P.

The Good News: At least there's hockey on. Hockey cures all ills.

Before the game, it's announced that the Stanley Cup is 115 years old. Happy Birthday, Cup! 1892 - a good year. Color photography, Edna St. Vincent Millay, and The Nutcracker. Well, maybe not that last one.

Budaj and Nabokov are in net. The only Nabokov I know anything about is...



...this guy, of Lolita fame. Good book. Disturbing, but good.

Svatos is in. Skrastins is still out. Interestingly, Parker is a healthy scratch. Too early to play his former team?

Several players warm up with pink sticks to support breast cancer research, but Laperriere is the only player to use his throughout the game. That's cool.

Despite all the pregame talk of keeping the Sharks off the power play and wrangling Thornton, a hooking call puts Hejduk in the box and Thornton scores. The Avs respond with a PP goal of their own, though, when Arnason gets credit for a tip.

The Sharks score twice within five minutes of the 2nd. It doesn't look too grim, though, because the guys are working their asses off. It pays off when Liles gets a beautiful rebound and makes it a one-point game again.

A cross check on Arnason and a stick to Hejduk's face make for a 5 on 3. When the Avs don't tie it up there, I get nervous. Flashbacks from about a month ago. But Brunette SCOOOORES! Whew. Then I'm nervous again, because Sakic gets sent to the box for hooking. The only thing worse than giving the Sharks a power play in the last couple of minutes of a tie game is not having Sakic on the ice to kill the penalty! But they do...holy crap.

The kicker: Cheecho takes a boarding penalty, and has a FIT in the box. The penalty carries over into OT, of course, and before I can say, "Gimme another Smithwick's," Hejduk GOOOOOOOOAL!!! It was a thing of beauty.

FINAL

Sharks 3
Avs 4

The Avs are now within 4 points of Calgary. WHAT? Assuming the Flames stay idle, and the Avs can extend the Oilers' losing streak from 10 to 12 games, they might earn a playoff berth yet.

In other news, the Sabres lost. Probably came as much as a shock to them as to the actual buffalo who got loose in a neighborhood near my apartment and had to be "dealt with" by Animal Control.

Best Friends Forever!

--Satanella

2 comments:

Katie O'D said...

Haha I was the opposite- when I saw the Lolita guy's name I thought of goalie Nabokov. But I'm not the norm. I used to have trouble pronouncing Mick Jagger's name because I knew of Jaromir Jagr first.
Horribly nerve-racking game. I found myself curled in a ball and muttering about Marek way too many times for it to be healthy. Gotta love how they're playing, though.

Satanella said...

Definitely love it right now. Coming in when I did gives me an odd perspective...I feel like these individual games must be reminiscent of the glory days for those who were lucky enough to experience them with the team.