23 March 2007

It's Cool, I Didn't Need Those Fingernails Anyway

The Game: Avs at Oilers

I need a cigarette. I don't know why that sounds soothing. A nice Djarum Black is probably the only thing on earth that could make my stomach less settled than it is. Nothing like a stressful game to rearrange one's internal organs.

The Avs went into this game hoping for a repeat of Wednesday, starting the Arnason/Laperriere/Richardson line that was so successful. But the Oilers came out really strong, and a lot more physical than earlier in the week, as evidenced by an early rush on Vaananen.

Richardson scores, assisted by Laperriere. Apparently kisses are only in order when Lappy is assisted, rather than when he assists.

At the end of the 1st, Sakic takes a rare penalty, and makes an even rarer fuss about it. He's pissed. Incidentally, this is his 200th consecutive game. I have to wonder if he's just good at hockey, or amazing all around. Is there anything he's bad at? Maybe he can't swim, or is afraid of spiders or something. He can't be Christ, because I'm totally not ready for the end. Although Christ coming back as a Canadian would be an interesting twist in an already convaluted tale. Back to the game already.

The 2nd begins with the Avs on a brief power play left over from the 1st, and Sakic scores! Hemsky, back from an injury, answers with a wrap-around goal that hits Budaj's skate as he tries to close the gap and goes in. The goal lights a fire under the Oilers, and the Avs are scrambling. I keep looking up, thinking, "Did I miss something? Are the Oilers on the power play?" It was something to see. The Oil has fight left after all. Sykora confirms it when he ties the game at 2-2.

The Avs end the 2nd with a power play, and Rolli is...is it too cheesy to say "on a roll?" The crowd is chanting for him. Hell, I could cheer for him. The Avs, Stastny in particular, are getting some great shots on goal, and a hell of a lot of them. Rolli robbed Stastny at least three times for sure.

I missed the first 5 minutes of play in the 3rd. I know that was irresponsible of me. Looking for houses (read: asbestos-ridden shanties in the ghetto because I'm broke) is time consuming. Somewhere in there, Svatos got a power play goal, putting the Avs in the lead.

Finger is visibly hurt. Arnason is named the "Man of Stihl." He's had significant success against Edmonton this season, for whatever reason, and I suppose that equates him to a chainsaw or a weed-eater.

With less than two minutes in regulation, Lupul gets a freaking goal. Unbelievable. OT flies by. I am reminded of the very first Avs game I attended (73 days ago, on January 9. Red Wings Suck!) when a little boy seated behind me cried to his father, "Daddy, I don't want to go to the shootout. I'm AFRAID TO LOOOOOOOSE!"

The shootout. Hemsky misses. Rolli makes a save on Svatos. Sykora misses. Save on Hejduk. Budaj saves on Pisani. Not even Sakic can get past Roloson.

You've got to be kidding me. I am running in place and I want to throw up.

Budaj gets the save on Lupul. Then who comes out for the Avs? MacLean. WHAT THE HELL? NO, SERIOUSLY. WHAT THE HELL? Yeah. He scored on his only shootout try. But where's Stastny? Doesn't he want to get that goal Rolli denied him all night? What about Liles? Hell, Guite, Brunette, even Laperriere. But MacLean? Is there some reason for this choice that I in my vast ignorance am not taking into consideration? Of course, MacLean misses. Reasoner scores on Budaj, and rookie Wolski can't answer.

[Insert under-my-breath utterances regarding MacLean]

FINAL

Avs 3
Oilers 4

I think I mentioned that I am broke. Hence, the comparative silence on the Colorado beer front. Recently, Ramen made a reappearance in my household. Now that's broke. But I classed it up with some peanut sauce. Anyhow, I thought it appropriate to get a paper bag-clad 40oz. to go with my dinner of Satanella's Seriously Evil Broke-Ass Chex Mix. The closest local example I could find was a 22oz. Avalanche. It's not new to HIFL...read my extensive archives.

Satanella's Seriously Evil Broke-Ass Chex Mix

6 cups Rice Chex (you and I both know it's the off-brand)
2 cups Snyder's Honey Mustard & Onion Pretzel Pieces
2 cups New York Style Mini Garlic Bagel Chips
5 Tbs. Butter
5 Tbs. Worchestershire sauce
Cholula, garlic powder and onion salt to taste

Heat oven to 250 degrees. Melt butter, add sauces and spices. Whisk. Add cereal, etc. Stir to coat. Bake, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on foil to cool. Store. Take to work and stress eat before teaching middle schoolers about the physics of dance. Shovel by the fistful during hockey games. Great as a salty complement to mixed beverages. Pretty much great all the time.

Best Friends Forever!

--Satanella

No comments: