02 February 2007

What's "Wild" About Minnesota, Anyway?

The Game: Avs vs. Wild

So, it started snowing last night. Again. I believe this is the SEVENTH consecutive weekend that Colorado has gotten dumped on, in installments ranging between a couple of inches and a few feet. Now, I am usually the transplant that defends snow against the perennial grumblings of natives. But this is getting old. This morning, the wind was blowing so hard through the breezeway at my apartment complex that snow was actually coming in the cracks of my door. There's a little pile on the carpet; I kid you not.

Anyway, it was a good night to come home, cook up a vat of chili, and watch the game. Apparently I wasn't the only fan who thought so, as the Denver Post cites low attendance at the Pepsi Center. Or maybe we all just thought the Avs should have had this game in the bag.

The Avs are on a five game homestand. And they just beat the team at the top of the heap. And this was a must-win four point game. The Wild have been terrible on the road in general this season (9-16-1), and are especially so when they come to Denver, going "2-12-2...in 16 lifetime visits to the Pepsi Center and hav[ing] lost in five of their last six trips [here]" (TSN).

It was a good game to watch, really. The Avs kept it tied up until into the 3rd period. Even when the Wild made it 4-3, I wasn't too concerned. But that fifth goal...Ugh.

FINAL

Wild 5
Avs 3

Nothing like beer to wash down the bitter taste of defeat, though. Last night's was Planet Porter from the Boulder Beer Company in Boulder, CO. My only previous Porter experience was at Rock Bottom, and I thought it tasted like oven drippings, so I was a little hesitant. But, it was time to give Porter another chance, and I'm glad I did. I can't stay mad at you, beer! When I tasted it, the words "beer milkshake" came to mind...in the best possible way. It was like beer...making out with a chocolate milkshake...on silk sheets. Yeah.

Boulder Brewing Company touts itself as Colorado's oldest microbrewery, established in 1979. I don't know about that. They're older than me, anyway.

Best Friends Forever!

--Satanella

No comments: