31 January 2007

Redemption and New Belgium

The Game: Avs vs. Predators

Last night, my other half and I went to Old Chicago to watch the game. At 6:05, I realized that it was on me to alert the waitstaff that the game (earlier than usual, granted) had started, and that it was on Versus, not the Altitude Network. When they changed the channel, they couldn't figure out how to get their HD out of "Zoom" mode, so we couldn't see the timeclock or the scores. Happily, though, it was "Fat Tire Tuesday." $2.50 pints of any New Belgium brew. More on that later. And, since I was wearing my trusty jersey, other customers came to me for the invisible score. I felt important.

The odds were stacked against the Avs.

Nashville is ranked #1 in the Western Conference, and came to Colorado having won 10 of their previous 11 games, whereas the Avs are hoping just to get into the playoffs, and were still smarting from the ridiculous Wings matchup last Sunday.

Plus, the game, broadcast on Versus as aforementioned, was the Predators' first and ONLY national television appearance of the season.

But the Avs pulled it out.

Budaj started (cue the Seraphim), and proved that he has all the confidence of, nearly the ability of, and more consistency than Theodore, at a fraction of the price. After Theodore endured his first camera close-up on the bench, he put on a hat.

Tyler Arnason got his 12th goal of the season. Not the most impressive player on the team, but he tries, and he's always going to be close to my heart because he was born in Oklahoma City, OK. His family almost immediately moved to Canada, but I don't care. Oklahoma is permanent.

FINAL

Predators 3
Avs 4

Oh, yeah. The beer. Well, Fat Tire isn't the most interesting Colorado beer to begin with, since it's pretty readily available. But it was cheap, and you can't argue with that. At least I didn't go for a Coors, right? Coors Brewery, by the way, is located about 10 minutes from my place, in Golden, CO. The infamous Pete Coors ran for Senate in 2004. Since he didn't win, he spends his time driving while intoxicated.

New Belgium Brewing Company is based in Fort Collins, CO, and was started by a guy to biked across Europe and was impressed by Belgian brewing practices. He named his first basement brew in honor of the trek - Fat Tire Amber Ale. They describe it as "toasty...(sorta like biscuits just pulled from the oven)," and go on to say "Fat Tire’s depth of flavor...tandems well with a full spectrum of today’s engaging cuisines. Salmon, dry-aged cheeses, roasted chilies, omelets at midnight, sweet potato French fries and just about anything with grill marks or garlic are just a few of the edibles we like to partner up with our Amber Ale." My assessment? Like most Americans, I like my beer COLD, which generally precludes the detection of a brew's "biscuitiness." That said, Fat Tire is good. Have some, and think of me. Best Friends Forever!

--Satanella

No comments: