13 February 2007

From the Highest Mountain to the Deepest Valley

The Game: Avs at Stars

I spent last weekend about 20 miles past Winter Park, where there were no phones, televisions, or computers to taint the beauty of nature. In other words, I nearly went insane. On my way up the mountain, I stopped at a grocery store in hopes that I might at least find The Hockey News. Alas, Gun's 'n' Ammo gave way to Hunting Magazine, and I left empty-handed.

The mountains were beautiful. Snow, Aspen, and age-old icicles the size of tree trunks. But as soon as I could, I was racing back to town to catch the early Avs/Stars game.

Pardon the lack of pastoral photos, by the way. I can go toe to toe on Russian Literature, but please don't ask me to plug stuff in! It doesn't help that my computer predates mankind. I'll figure it all out, I promise...

Each member of both teams pledged money to The Garth Brooks Teammates for Kids Foundation, based on their performance. $300 for a goal, etc. As admirable as I think that is, I also think Garth (who, I feel obligated to admit, happens to live in my hometown) was wise to go with funding children's charities through sports instead of starting the Garth Brooks Center for Kids Who Don't Read Good. He is quoted in the Post as saying "hockey, per player, gives more than any other sport. ... I'd say philanthropic, but I can't spell it or use it in a sentence. You know what I mean. A very giving person." Good lord. Personally, I would like to help kids more, but I am not a philanthropic. I don't have enough money to philanthropic that venture. Hours of fun for the whole family...

Budaj and Turco started the game in goal. Three Dallas goals later, as I was feeling the distinct sensation of deja-vu, Theodore was put in. Sakic, Stastny, and Wolski scored, and Turco was replaced by Smith soon after. Too bad. I really like Marty Turco, and I was annoyed to hear the announcers talk about him like he's some washed-up has-been in the shadow of the rookie. Yeah, Smith, with his recent string of shutouts and some impossible saves, is impressive. But have some respect. Alternatively, it was nice to hear Budaj called the "Fourth coach" as he yelled support to his teammates from the bench.

When the Stars scored their 6th goal, the replay captured Guite beautifully as he all but stepped out of the way of the puck. His face in slow motion was priceless. "Noooooooo..." He almost redeemed himself with two goals-that-might-have-been, but Smith was just too fast for him.

Leopold was sent to the box for closing his hand on the puck, a ridiculous sounding penalty that I had not heard of and didn't particularly want to. I'm gonna have to look into that one.

The McLean/Arnason/Laperriere line made it 5-6, and it looked like the Avs were about to take the game. The speed increased by double. A HUGE check on Clark resulting in a Stars penalty seemed like it would seal the deal. But it didn't. THREE consecutive power plays were wasted by the Avs. Even with the extra man, they were chasing the puck all over Dallas. Literally. The Stars basically just stood in their zone, waiting for an Av to pass them the puck so they could clear it out. And that's what happened over and over for six total minutes. Finally, Liles turned it over, Theo stopped the ensuing shot and essentially kicked it to Halpern, and Halpern scored on the rebound.

FINAL

Avs 5
Stars 7

What a nail-biter. To go from 0-3 to 5-7...Three power plays in a row when it was a one point game...Two days later it still makes my neck tense up. The medicine on Sunday, as it will be again tonight, was 5th Avenue Pale Ale, courtesy of O'Dells Brewing in Fort Collins. This hoppy ale is made in small batches (5 barrels at a time, wouldn't you know) for quality. And it's good.

Let's Go Avs! Please? Best Friends Forever!

--Satanella

No comments: