15 February 2007

A Samurai Send-Off

Before Tuesday's game against the Ducks, one of Denver's local sportscasters asked Liles whether or not it would help the team to invite Dr. Phil into the locker room. I know, television reporters are abominably daft. But Liles' answer concerned me. He said, in as many words, that no doctor could fix the team's ills, and that he/she would find more wrong than expected.

Lately, the company line has been that the team is losing because they don't start with enough enthusiasm. The elephant in the room is...there's much more to it than that. There is an attitude of surrender in Denver. And not just since it has become increasingly clear that the Avs may not make the playoffs for the first time during their residence here.

I noticed it in particular at the two Avs/Red Wings games I have attended this season. From what I understand, a Wings jersey used to be an invitation for a beating in this town. I know the rivalry is all but dead, but the meekness with which we accepted both losses and wins surprised me. In some cases, it seemed like shouting "Red Wings Suck!" was meant as little but a joke, especially in the context of the comparative performance between the two teams. It was as if those who ventured to yell it (or wear it) were children experimenting with swearing in front of their parents for the first time.

It's time for the Avs to get introspective; go back to basics. In half an hour, you can be in the mountains asking what it all means. Do it.

Yeah, Budaj was inspired on Tuesday. But as of tonight the Avs are on the road, playing the Flames twice. They have lost the last five against Calgary. Budaj has been replaced in three.

It's gonna take more than enthusiasm.

So, a little Zen for the Avs' pre-game mountaintop reflections: The Samurai Creed.

I have no parents; I make the Heavens and the Earth my parents.
I have no home; I make the Tan T'ien my home.
I have no divine power; I make honesty my divine power.
I have no means; I make Docility my means.
I have no magic power; I make personality my magic power.
I have neither life nor death; I make A Um my life and death.

I have no body; I make Stoicism my body.
I have no eyes; I make the Flash of Lightening my eyes.
I have no ears; I make Sensibility my ears.
I have no limbs; I make Promptitude my limbs.
I have no laws; I make Self-Protection my law.
I have no strategy; I make the Right to Kill and the Right to Restore Life my strategy.
I have no designs; I make Seizing the Opportunity by the Forelock my design.
I have no miracles; I make Righteous Laws my miracles.
I have no principles; I make Adaptability to all Circumstances my principle.
I have no tactics; I make Emptiness and Fullness my tactics.

I have no talent; I make Ready Wit my talent.
I have no friends; I make my Mind my friend.
I have no enemies; I make Incautiousness my enemy.
I have no armour; I make Benevolence my armour.
I have no castle; I make the Immovable Mind my castle.
I have no sword; I make No Mind my sword.

Focus. Think of nothing but the task at hand. You are here for a reason.

In other words, guys, don't try to play hockey tonight. Do what you were born to do.

No comments: