05 February 2007

If It Weren't For That Pesky Third Period...

The Game: Avs vs. Oilers

After venturing out into the bright meltiness of Denver to fetch a six-pack of aptly named Avalanche Amber Style Ale from my friendly neighborhood liquor store (my favorite employee's name is Kim Kim), I was ready for Saturday's afternoon game. Not particularly ready to drink, per the previous night's shenanigans, but you know...I had to take one for the team.

Let me preface this next paragraph by alerting you to the fact that I saw my first televised hockey game on November 18th (Avs at Wild), and my first live one on December 6 (Colorado Eagles vs. Rocky Mountain Rage). I will say it again: I am learning as I go. I get my information from other blogs, newpapers, and team websites. But, I confess, I also have to consult Wikipedia. I can't help it.

So, for your edification, perhaps the most incoherent rant Re: the Edmonton Oilers ever made, interjected into an otherwise informative and perfectly legitimate article, and further proof that Wikipedia is not always a reliable source of information:

"The edmonton oilers are probably the luckest team in the NHL. How they made the playoffs is a mystery to most NHL players. Not only are they lucky there fans are the biggest f*ck heads in the world, think about it White Ave. mmmm.. i wonder where that came from oh wait i know the Red Mile in Calgary Whats the problem you guys can't think of stuff your self you have to take it from other team. More proof that the Oilers suck, well look at Chris Pronger spent one season in edmonton and hated it with a passion. funny i think the same thing about Edmonton. You want more proof that Edmonton is lucky look at them this year, what are they this year last in the Northwest division, not in a playoff spot. Funny how that works. I guess you guys should have kept the horse shoes in there ass over the summer. Not that would have helped much anyways."

I don't know what that means, if anything. But it was amusing to stumble on in between the Oilers' "Great One" days and last season's playoff run.

According to Coach Quenneville, Saturday's game against the Oilers was "almost a carbon copy" of the Avs/Wild matchup on last Thursday. The team played well in general, fell behind in the third, and couldn't make it up.

It was a heated conflict, in my limited experience. And I must say, it was really nice to see someone other than Lappy get into it. Newbie Rycroft is now the only other player on the team to get a five-minute major for fighting. I was struck by the announcers' repeated comment: "This is how the game should be played." For once, I had to agree with them. It really was evident that both teams were fighting for something that was supremely important to them. I'm sure no player would readily admit that some games feel more important than others, or that the urgency isn't the same with 60 games left as it is with 30, and most of them away from home, and the playoffs in the balance, but the difference was palpable to me. And I felt the disappointment.

Sigh. If only. That's what the general consensus seems to be. If only the young 'uns like Wolski and Stastny, etc. had a couple more seasons under their belts. If only Sakic could stay on the ice for 60 minutes. Ok, that one was mine.

FINAL

Oilers 3
Avs 2

Surprisingly, my beer choice is having little effect on the team's performance. Too bad. Then again, there are less desireable superstitious rituals. Avalanche Amber hails from Breckenridge, CO's Breckenridge Brewery. In their breakdown of its hoppiness, etc., Avalanche is cited as having "19 Bitterness Units." I had to laugh. Only 19? Too bad #19 Sakic is such a tactful, humble guy. That would have been too funny.

Best Friends Forever!

--Satanella

No comments: