16 February 2007

Sakic, Hat Trick, Alcoholic

The Game: Avs at Flames

"...I am flawed, but I am cleaning up so well. I am seeing in me now the things you swore you saw yourself..."

--"Vindicated," Dashboard Confessional

"...Oh you gotta keep it strong, move along, move along like I know you do. Even when your hope is gone, move along, move along just to make it through..."

--"Move Along," All-American Rejects

I don't often admit familiarity with bands/songs like the ones referenced above (although Chris Carabba's earlier work is of some merit), but there's nothing like pop music for being hyperbolic, is there?

Or, I guess I could revert back to the behaviors associated with football fandom and just yell, FUCK YEAH! WE KICKED ASS!"

Before the game, it is announced that Forsberg has been traded to the Nashville Predators. And guess what? I don't care! Had he gone to the Wings, though, I would have been forced to stomp on his foot.

Another pre-game feature was Part 1 of a 3-part series filmed about a month ago when the Avs took their fathers and mentors along on their trip to Anaheim and San Jose. While the majority of the team played poker on their PSPs, Liles drank milk and did a crossword. "I better myself; I work on my mind," he said. The English teacher in me swelled with pride. The hockey fan in me couldn't help but observe that we've seen more from him in TV interviews than on the ice since his return. He only played eight minutes last night - it may be that he's still nursing his foot.

Not even a minute into the game, The Flames got the crowd lit up and the Avs intimidated with a small scrum. Soon, they had a goal. As the Avs attempted to make thier way down the ice, the game looked more like pinball than hockey. Before we knew it, it was 0-2.

Finally, the Avs get on the board when Super Joe scores his 599th. And Richardson goes to the box for a stick to some Flame's jewels. Is there a technical term for that? Junk Checking?

Theodore relieves Budaj in the 2nd. Something about the change spurs the team; Brunette gets one in, and Hejduk two. In the 3rd, a shot from Clark barely tiptoes over the goal line before being swatted away. The goal is awarded after review, and the Avs took the lead for the first time in the game.

The Flames tie it up again at 5 (FYI, Tanguay assisted on 3 of the Flames' 5 goals. Did trading him for Leopold seem like a good idea at the time?). But HEJDUK SCORES AGAIN! My first Hat Trick! I wish it had happened here, and am reminded of my urgent need for a hat.

With 9 seconds left in the game, Sakic becomes the 17th player in NHL history to reach 600 goals, scoring on the Flames' open net. He told the papers that wasn't ideal, but they still had to work for it. Now I have to go the game on Tuesday, when the Avs meet Calgary for the third time in a week here in Denver. I'm sure they'll do something nice for Super Joe, and I'm sure I'll cry again. Go ahead and scoff. You and I both know you'd do the same.

FINAL

Avs 7
Flames 5

To make the evening even better, I had leftover Alu Gobi (spicy cauliflower and potatoes) and Sawtooth Ale from Left Hand Brewing Company in Longmont, CO. A brewer after my own heart, they obviously have a penchant for the $3 word. "Brewed to enjoy with friends and stimulate serendipity," says the six-pack. I did enjoy it, though alone. And the night was serendipitous regardless.

Furthermore, the water in my complex was turned back on (water main break), and I got to take a shower. Probably felt as good as if I'd played the game myself.

Best Friends Forever!

--Satanella

No comments: