09 February 2007

My First Hockey Cry

The Game: Avs vs. Thrashers

...And it didn't even have to do with the outcome of the game. Rather, before the game started, Karlis Skrastins was honored for breaking a nearly 40 year old NHL record for most consecutive games played by a defenseman. The arena was dotted with signs, some in Latvian, saying things like "IRON MAN MADE IN LATVIA" and "ALL LATVIANS ARE PROUD OF YOU." And when Skrastins took the ice for a lap, and BOTH teams were beating their sticks on the ice in support, I pretty much lost it.

Two of former record holder Tim Horton's daughters were present for the occasion, and color commentator Peter McNab, who played alongside Horton as a Sabre, gave them each a bouquet of roses. Skrastins' (stunningly gorgeous blonde) wife was given a bracelet, and "Scratch" himself a framed black and white side-by-side of action shots of himself and Horton. It was actually really touching.

Too bad the Avs proceeded to get completely schooled.

I was seated 20 rows from the ice, just behind Theodore (urp) in goal. Amazing seats. For the entire first period, I didn't even want to make noise, because I wanted to hear everything. Every scrape of the ice...I could hear the players talking to one another. I could practically feel the checks.

To make the experience even more enjoyable, I got to watch the game with a loud, foul-mouthed Canadian (Edmonton fan), who also happens to be an 80-odd lb. ballet dancer. A pleasure I hope to repeat often. To use her turn of phrase, it was "fucking wicked." Apparently, the last time she attended an Oilers game, her "commentary" was obnoxious enough that a male fan sitting nearby had to be restrained. During the course of this game, she downed three beers, a hot dog, and a serving of Mmmini Donuts. I think I've found a hockey buddy.

Theo wasn't the only player who got off to a bad start during his single period of netmindlessness. Nothing was working for the Avs. Even though they tied their season high of shots on goal with 48, for a while there it was looking like Skrastins was going to get shut out on his big day.

There was much rejoicing when Budaj replaced Theo in the 2nd, but the damage was pretty much done. It didn't help that the penalty calls seemed more than a little one-sided. Lappy, Leopold, and Stastny (he's on a roll) scored, but Hossa topped off the Thrashers with a sixth in the final two minutes. As disappointing as the loss was, I was more disappointed to see fans absolutely STREAMING out of the arena. You can wait two minutes. If you're so interested in getting home as quickly as possible, watch the game from home. Jerks.

FINAL

Thrashers 6
Avs 3

It occurs to me that hockey will probably break my heart. That said, my heart is a glutton for punishment.

I drank Coors. From a plastic bottle, no less. But it was cold. Probably because I was so close to the ice. So there. Best Friends Forever!

--Satanella

No comments: