29 January 2007

Inside the Box

The Game: Avs v Coyotes

Friday night, I came home from work, changed into my jersey and pajama bottoms, and settled in on the couch for a night of watching hockey and nursing my cold. About an hour before faceoff, I got an unexpected call from a friend who works at the Pepsi Center. Owner's Box. Center Ice. Suddenly I wasn't feeling so bad.

There are pros and cons to watching the game from the Owner's Box. PRO: The vantage point is amazing, and every sound from the ice and the crowd are amplified. CON: Most of the people who are regularly able sit in the Owner's Box aren't overwhelmingly enthusiastic about the game.

While the Avs took the lead in the 1st, a tipsy young woman made use of the computer at the bar to surf the Internet for wedding dresses.

When it was 4-2 in the 2nd, a drunk, middle-aged realtor started hitting on my friend, saying in so many words that he was lonely, and that although he had a 16-year-old daughter, she wouldn't be a problem for any new love interest of his.

By the time the Coyotes tied it up in the 3rd period, my friend couldn't take Mr. Realtor's advances any longer, and invited me upstairs to see the Pepsi Center's Administrative Offices.

When the Avs lost in the shootout, having lead the entire game, I was looking through the glass walls of Pepsi Center owner Stan Kroenke's office at a stuffed pheasant. Apparently Stan is quite the hunter. Ugh. And his wife is affiliated with Wal-Mart.

FINAL

Coyotes 5
Avs 4

Happy 46th Birthday, Coach Gretzky.

NOTE: It is rumoured that Kroenke is hoping to buy both Brooklyn's and Braun's. We might be looking for another place to drink pre- and post-game pretty soon.

Best Friends Forever!

--Satanella

No comments: